Monday, August 9, 2010

The Drive

I've always felt like my vacation doesn't begin until I have reached the destination and it ends the minute I have to begin traveling back.  So my Hawaii trip began the moment the plane touched down in Hawaii and ended the minute I arrived at the airport to return to Utah. 

When I planned my trip to Bear lake, I decided to do things a little differently and accept that my drive to and from Bear Lake would also be a part of the vacation.  I'm so glad that I did, because some of my favorite moments came from the drive. 

Before we left for Bear Lake, I put together a traveling CD with all kinds of good country songs.  In fact here is the playlist from our trip.




We made a pit stop in Logan at Cox Honeyland for some honey and fudge! The store has a live beehive inside of it, pretty neat stuff.  And the fudge comes in all kinds of flavors!  I got Peanut Roll and Daniel got plain ol' Milk Chocolate.




We then stopped at the scenic outlook as we came out of the Logan Canyon.  It was the perfect day for it!



We learned that Bear Lake is referred to as the "Caribbean of the Rockies".  It was originally named Black Bear Lake and was first inhabited by the Shoshone Indians.  I also learned that the lake continues to deepen on the eastern side of the lake; the deepest part of the lake is still unknown.

On the way back to Provo, we stopped in Garden City for some of their famous Raspberry Shakes!  We ate at Merlin's Drive Inn and the shakes definitely live up to the hype!  Merlin's is an entertaining stop as well, they have dollar bills along the ceiling, a collection of Police and Fire badges, a giant wood bear as you walk in the door and a little play area for the kids. 




All in all, it was a great road trip!

No comments: