Thursday, October 1, 2009

Earthquakes: American Samoa and Indonesia

I just wanted to take a moment and talk about the awful news coming from the American Samoa Tsunami. As you know, there was an earthquake measuring at 8.0 just off the coast of Samoa. Some of the small villages were completely destroyed, by several large waves that hit the shore. The largest wave measuring in at 13.7 feet high. The island was somewhat lucky, in that it was late enough in the morning that most people were awake and yet it was early enough that people hadn't come into work or school yet. Sadly though, there are approximately 80 confirmed dead in Samoa, 22 in the American territory.



In studying Geology this semester, we have been discussing plate tectonics and the constant shifting of the earth's crust. In an article released by CNN, they discuss what the two earthquakes in Samoa and Indonesia mean. It was very enlightening.

My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost not only loved ones, but who have also lost their homes. In times like these, I wish I were a millionaire, that I could fly down there with a plane full of supplies and offer aid to those in need. Although, that is an impossibility for me at the moment, there are ways I can help. Through the American Red Cross: Disaster Relief and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Humanitarian Aid Fund.

No comments: