Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Want to be Stephenie Meyer


I now know the answer to the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" My answer would be, "I want to be Stephenie Meyer." What a mind! What a gift! Now before I get carried away about my new fixation on Stephenie Meyer, I'm going to share my Twilight story. I didn't want to read the books; for fear that I would just be another bandwagon follower. So when Allison took me to see the movie, I have to admit I fell in love with the story. I picked up the book and began reading. I only made it half way through the story when I had to put the book down in order to deal with my life. Last weekend, I picked the book back up and finished it. I moved on to New Moon and finished it in two days. Then I began reading Eclipse, two and a half days later I was on to Breaking Dawn, which I finished Saturday night. Yes, I am crazy, sleep deprived and to embarrass myself further, I popped in the Twilight movie as soon as I finished the book.
Those of you who know me, know my strong belief in the power of dreams and that when you need an answer to a tough problem sometimes the answer can reveal itself in your dreams. So when I read Stephenie's story about how Twilight came to be, I was so surprised to read that it was a dream that sparked it all. To be blessed with a dream that would in essence affect so many people is a powerful thought. After finishing these books, I must say I've spent this Sunday grieving the fact that these books are now done. That these people I've come to love are, sadly, fictional.
The thing about books is that they connect you to another mind. When you watch a movie you have to guess what the character is thinking or why they think the way they do. When the movie ends you're able to walk away from it. It was a two dimensional story that may have impacted you, but two days later you've moved on to another movie, another character. In a book, you know their thoughts, their background, what drives their emotion and essentially you connect to who they are. So it's hard to believe that when you close the book, their story ends. In your mind, you believe that they are living on and part of you resents that you can't be there to live it with them, to read what their "Happily Ever After" looks like.
Its good there are no more books though, I have sadly neglected Daniel all week while I mentally moved to a small town called Forks. So I'm glad to come back to reality and be the mommy the little guy needs. But if you were to ask me what I wanted to be when I grow up, I would tell you that I want to be Stephenie Meyer. I would want the power to connect people with a beautiful story. I would want the power to spark the idea within others that true love is out there, that family is the most important thing a person can have, that you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to and that with planning, support and love you can overcome any obstacle that comes your way. If you haven't read the books, make time. It's more than some silly cult following; it's a beautiful story!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I agree with you...The books are great. I can't wait for the movies. I was sad too when I finished Breaking Dawn, but I neglected my kids too, so it's good that I am forced back to reality.

Kellie said...

You said it perfectly. I, like you, didn't want to get caught up in the hype. I just finished the series about a month ago and I have the movie at home waiting to be popped in (I haven't seen it yet). It was such a great story, I'm sad it is over.